As a kid you couldn’t get me to sit still and read more than 2-3 pages from a book.
Don’t get me wrong, I love books!I never have an issue buying books, but once they made it home they sat on the bookshelf. My parents tried everything including even getting my Hooked on Phonics which was a big deal when it came out. I still remember having this huge package, opening it, and having all these various reading tools from tapes to flashcards attached to those plastic rings for easy flipping.
Ever since I was a kid I would pick up a book, read the back cover and if it sparked my interest I bought it – I have never had an issue buying books. The issue always came after the purchase. Once the book made it home it would go on the bookshelf and sit there until the next garage sale.
Every time I opened a book and started reading I would start to get sleepy – no joke!Here's a collection of books every entrepreneur should check out Click To Tweet
I was the kid whose parents bought Hooked on Phonics which was a big deal when it came out in hopes it would help me read more. I still remember having this huge package, opening it, and having all these various reading tools from tapes to flashcards attached to those plastic rings for easy flipping.
It wasn’t until I hit college when I actually enjoyed reading more and that’s because I was starting my first business MIX IT UP Magazine. I had to learn how to start and run a successful business and reading was key!
Fast forward to now and I love reading!
The past year I’ve hit up the library so much they should have a frequent flyer program, ha! I’ve read more books around business, web design, technology, self-care, and marketing then I have read in my entire life. Yes, some books are still sitting on the shelf but now they are just in line, waiting to be read next.
Lucky for you I’ve compiled all the books that I’ve read here for you and I even broke them down into categories for you. Now, I’m always on the hunt for a good book so be sure to drop your favorites and WHY in the comments below.
Books Entrepreneurs Should Read
- Launch – This is a must read for anyone planning any kind of launch for a new product or service
- The Lean Startup – Amazing insight on starting and running a lean business. It reminds you why you want to “launch lean” and that you don’t have to wait for everything to be “perfect.” You just need to launch!
- Invent it. Sell it. Bank it.– This is basically an entrepreneur’s holy bible. Lori covers pretty much everything you need to know from taking your idea to market
- Jump – Steve Harvey talks about why you need to make the “jump” and explains why he owned that big moment from the pageant
- You Don’t Have to Be a Shark – Robert shows you how hard work does pay off and you can create your own success
- Getting Things Done – Learn how to organize your ideas and break them down into manageable tasks. It’s all about creating systems
- Sprint – This book teaches you how to break down your ideas into “sprints” and test them
- Start Your Own Consulting Business – If you are thinking about starting a consulting company this book is a great place to start
- I Will Teach You To Be Rich – A good overall book to read that not only helps you shift your mindset but also gives you action plans for getting your life right so you can be successful
- Start – Literally all you need to do is start and this book will help you do that
- Make Your Mark – A customer introduced this one to me and I was hooked! This book is full of great insight to spark that creativity inside you
- Legal Forms For Starting & Running a Small Business – Learn from the best without having to shell out all the money just yet for a lawyer with this book from Nolo
- Don’t Make Me Think – Great book for learning the importance of good web design and why you need to be careful on being unique with your headings, buttons, and pages
- Value Proposition-Design– You need to create user-friendly products and services that everyone can understand. This book helps you do that
- The Art of Social Media – A popular choice for anyone wanting to step up their social media game. Learn from the pro’s and master the art of social media
- The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs – Discover the secrets of delivering a killer presentation and learn how to get up in front of any audience. Learn from the best in the business and be inspired to do more
- Contagious – This book is awesome because it gives you insight on how and why things catch on
- Why We Buy – This one is a must-read! Why we buy gives you so much insight behind why we buy things
- Start With Why – The first question you want to start with is always why? Why do you want to create this? Why would someone buy this and so on
- Creativity For Sale – Learn how to take what you love and turn it into profits
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR – Learn how to use social media, online video, press releases and more to market your business
- UnMarketing – Teaches you how to actually engage with your customers and potential customers because no one likes getting a cold call
- Maximize Your Potential -This one will motivate and inspire you. I read this on vacation and couldn’t put it down. Great quotes inside
- The Art of War – Learn how to unblock your creativity and move forward in whatever you choose to do
- The Gratitude Diaries – You have to look on the positive side and put those positive thoughts out there so that you can receive them back
- The Achievement Habit – Learn how to take control of your life and do more with it